Monday, July 23, 2007


I made it back in one piece from my Nebraska trip. It was overall a good trip and I really enjoyed spending time with my parents, and niece and nephew (and sister and brother in law too). My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to schedule visits with many friends while I was back. I only got to see one friend for a few hours. Seems like there is never enough time to visit everyone.
I particularly feel bad about missing a visit with Melanie. :( It seems that I am a bit of a bonehead and that before I left I must have been more stressed than I realized. I had posted a few days before I left and when I checked my comments I noticed one from Melanie and so I replied to her post. dear husband pointed out to me YESTERDAY that it was probably unlikely that Melanie would check back and read comments on a post that she already commented on. DUH!!!!! Anyway, I didn't have Melanie's phone number and thus I didn't contact her. After reading her blog though it sounds like it might have been difficult to get together so I guess I will give myself a bit of a break on the guilt.
We flew into NE on Saturday evening and drove to my parent's house. We went to church with my parent's on Sunday and then out to eat at RUNZA. (Incidentally, those of you that live in Nebraska take Runza for granted....) My sister and family came to Lincoln for a visit on Sunday afternoon and we had a good visit. Monday we relaxed at mom and dad's and then took a trip to Chuck E Cheese to let the kids play. My aunt Claire came through Lincoln on her way back to Wisconsin and spent the night so I got to catch up with her, which was really nice. Tuesday we headed to Omaha to go to the outlet mall in Gretna and then to an indoor play place that had a three story climb and tunnel system. Peter had the most fun of all the kids there. Emma (my niece) was a little scared of the tunnels, and Nicholas (my nephew) and Liam would only go up as high as the first level. We had supper at my sister's house and then headed back to Lincoln for the evening. Wednesday my sister and family came back to Lincoln and we went to see Ratatouille. (It was an okay movie...not the worst, but not the season's best either). That night my sister's family also spent the night with my parents so that we could get up early on Thursday to go to the University for a tour of Memorial Stadium. I must note that I lived in Nebraska for 30 years and never even knew that it was possible to take a tour of this wonderful football mecca. The tour was about an hour long and was really fun for all. Friday morning we woke up and the kids played while mom and I washed up laundry so that I wouldn't have to take dirty clothes home (Thanks mom!!!!), then I packed our suitcases and we headed to Omaha for the evening. We went to the Pizza Machine and spent a little over 3 hours playing and eating. We won over 2010 tickets and I think the adults actually had a little bit of fun :). Friday night we stayed with my sister so that we could be a little closer to the airport because Saturday morning we woke up at 5a (3am California time) and headed for the airport for our flight back to San Diego. Upon our arrival home Ben picked us up at the airport and we went home and dropped off our bags and headed out to a touch football game and pizza party. Then we came home and Liam, Peter and I took a nap for a little bit and then we headed out to Santee Lakes for an evening at the lake celebrating one of Ben's coworker's retirement. We headed home from the party about 9pm and went right to bed.
Yesterday Ben and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. We went to the horse races at Del Mar. The racetrack has a kids' area in the infield where they have pony rides, magic show, jumpers, and many other activities for the kids to enjoy. The boys enjoy it so much that they said they can't wait to go play there again.
I really enjoyed the last week even though it was busy. This week looks like it should be a fairly quiet, uneventful week and I think that will be good so that we can "catch our breathes" before this weekend's campout and football practice starting next Monday.
I love being a "busy mom".


Omaha Mama said...

Wow you were busy. Next time, I'll give you my phone number! (It's in the book). I'm just bummed because between the outlet mall and the pizza machine, you were within 10 minutes of my house! That's okay, we'll do it next time!

A said...

Glad you are back home and getting back into your routine. The kids miss their cousins and can't wait to go back to the Pizza Machine with them!