Tuesday, July 3, 2007

4th of July

I grew up celebrating the 4th of July in the country. We always had tons of firecrackers to "play" with during the day, and in the evening my dad would put on a spectacular show for us with the "big stuff". We lived in a "circle", which in today's terms I guess would be called a cul-de-sac. Anyway, all the neighbors always seemed to try to outdo each others fireworks display. It always seemed like the fireworks went on for hours when I was a kid and I loved every minute of it. Part of our "tradition" was getting together with friends of the family and having tons of food and getting stuffed to an uncomfortable degree. The chips and dip would be put out early in the afternoon and later there would be hot dogs and burgers grilled and potato salad and baked beans....mmmm makes me hungry just thinking about it. Last year I was able to celebrate with my parents and the friends from growing up. It was still as much fun as ever. Although now my brother in law has taken over as the fireworks master. He does a pretty darn good job.
This year I am going to be staying in California and it will be much different. We are not allowed to have fireworks of our own around here. There will be a large fireworks display at the high school which should be fun...I've heard it's a fabulous display. In the late morning, early afternoon we will be going to Old Poway Park for an "Old Fashioned 4th of July Celebration". Not really sure what they will be doing, but they have a neat train that Liam loves to ride. Although it will be different I am hoping to have a great day. The 4th is probably my favorite holiday. Happy 4th of July to all!!!!

2 comments:

SDben5 said...

Eric invited us to go see Transformers with him and Austin tomorrow.

Melanie D. said...

Your memories sound a lot like mine. For the 3 years we lived in Lincoln we had block parties where they closed our street. It's pretty much the same around good ol' Nebraska, isn't it?

I hope your Cally celebration turns out to be awesome, I'll look forward to hearing about it!